Shoe-horned into the Grand Himalayas, Bhutan?Land of the Peaceful Thunder Dragon?is a fiercely independent kingdom that celebrated its centenary in 2008. Isolated, charming, peaceful, and religious, the Bhutanese are a pragmatic, sensitive people who take from the West what will benefit their country and leave the rest. The countryside is pristine, the lifestyle and culture have been preserved for centuries, and the love of life is abundant among the people. Few outsiders know Bhutan as intimately as Fran?oise Pommaret.
- Passionate introduction to Bhutanese culture and history by resident author?the worlds leading expert on Bhutan
- Literary extracts with an historical perspective
- Trekking and mountaineering in this spectacular kingdom
- National symbols of Bhutan, ceremonial scarves, the Dzongkha language, chortens and mandalas
- Archery and other national sports, plus much more
Editorial Reviewsgt-product-pods-reviews-collapsed”” xmlns:exslt=””http://exslt.org/common””>
Travel & LeisureThe bible of Bhutan guidebooks.
TravellerColorful,practical guide,well illustrated with many astonishing photographs.
Odyssey Publications, Ltd.